Friday, November 09, 2007

I’ve just returned from an interesting movie going experience. Lions for Lambs is a movie to think about. I’m still not sure exactly what I think about it, it may take a day or two, but I am inclined to think that might exactly be the point. I went into the theater not sure what I was about to see, the previews are entirely ambiguous, but so is this film. It’s making a point but does not come straight out with it. A not so favorable review (the first one I read) by Carina Chocano, of the LA Times, says the movie would like us to understand the complicity of everyone in the disastrous Iraq/Afghanistan war. This is definitely part of it. Though whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is vague. I personally hope this complicity in bringing about war is seen as an undesirable thing. My understanding of Robert Redford’s politic leanings makes me think this is probably his slant, though large amounts of screen time were given to other points of view. I also think Chocano is right in saying this movie is more suited to a stage then a screen. The acting was good and the dialogue between Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise was very engaging. I may or may not get back to you with more interpretations of this film depending on whether or not I actually give it more thought. Though, I hope other people who see it do give it more thought.

No comments: