Saturday, September 06, 2008

I am unable to sleep with the fan running and only a sheet to cover me, but not necessarily because of the heat. It’s just that sometimes reality gets to me. I should stop watching the 9 o’clock news. The unemployment rate is at a five year high (though our government is still insisting that our economy is “resilient”), the rate of foreclosure and people behind on mortgage payments are up to 9.2%, there were a couple more murders in the mission yesterday, and right at the start of the news there was an earthquake. Not such a big earthquake, but enough to realize that no matter what else is going on, the earth has her own agenda. I’ve been worried about all kinds of things this past month, but at least I still have a job and don’t have to worry about losing a home, and if there was a “big one" tomorrow none of it would matter anyway. It’s just one of those moments when I have to stop worrying, wallowing, etc., and realize what’s good in my life. Though, I’m not going to dismiss the trouble either, especially if it can be fixed. But in case anyone is interested here are some things in my life that I am thankful for: Parents that I can talk to, friends I can count on, a boss(es) that I like, a place of my own to lay my head at night, access to good beer on occasion, that fact that there is no one currently in my life who I feel like yelling at as much as my neighbor does, creativity, long walks around the lake, being able to read, having a body healthy enough to do most of what I ask of it, BBC’s Mystery on Sunday nights, living in a place with so many interesting people, and I guess I’ll end with the fact that I am still alive and have not died in a horrible accident or earthquake. Now I suppose I should try getting to sleep again.

No comments: