Thursday, October 23, 2008

Comfort Food

Having woken up this morning sans voice, fresh off a bicycle accident the previous evening and with the lingering pain of last week's back injury, I was miserable to say the least. So I watched t.v. episodes for a good portion of the day and when it came time to eat something, I of course went for some Comfort food. Sometimes the only thing that will do is peanut butter applesauce toast. I think everyone should give it a try and reap the benefits. Not only is it a comfort food, but it is also fairly healthy, depending on the type of peanut butter you choose. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
Bread- two pieces
Peanut Butter (chunky or smooth)- 4 tbs.
Applesauce- about a cup and 1/2

First put the bread in the toaster. Then, if you want to (I sometimes do it cold), warm the applesauce, microwave works best. Then makes sure you have the peanut butter and a butter knife at the ready. The minute the toast pops out of the toaster, grab it and smear on the peanut butter. Then pour the applesauce evenly over both pieces. Eat immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first time I heard about this "comfort food" that you describe was at a tent meeting when I was nine. The evangelist, in addition to a fiery reading of the Book of Revelations (aka the Apocalypse) was very into health issues. This was what he described as an ideal breakfast, free of contaminated animal fats and processed sugars. My parents loved the idea and we found ourselves faced with this frequently. Fortunately, I had told my mom when I was eight that I was allergic to peanut butter (though, strangely, not to peanuts) so I did not have to eat it.

So, I am glad you find comfort in it. I find nostalgia of a sort.