Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

Well, I just returned from my neighborhood polling place. It was a very pleasant experience. Everyone was friendly and it was nice to see a diversity of race and age participating in the process. The biggest happy surprise was the abundance of young people. There has been talk in past election about how the young people are going to step up to bat and vote, but they usually disappoint. I'd like to say that this year, based on my observations today, will be different. I guess many of us are actually civically minded after all. And to top it off, the little old ladies handing out ballots, were not all little old ladies, they were young people too! I have no reproof for those who are not going to vote based on political beliefs see my previous blog posts, but I have warm feelings towards those who do. I don't know what difference, if any, it will make (we'll see soon), but I would like to think that even small amounts of awareness and steps towards participation, will lead to greater things. I snapped a few quick pictures (which didn't turn out as well as I would have liked) outside to try and get proof of young people being there.


The polling place.


Young family on their way to vote.




Young person leaving polling place.


More young people (they couldn't have been much more then 18) leaving the polling place.


Some final campaigning happening outside polling place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lookin' good; glad you voted. lots of voters here, too